View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Space] Climate & habitability of tide-locked planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Have you calculated the Habitability scores and Dayside temperatures of a lot of randomly-generated tide-locked worlds? I've had quite a lot of them drop out of my generator, and I don't like the look of them. The ones with high Habitability scores have uninhabitably hot day sides.
Well of course your random generator produces a huge number of tidelocked worlds with much higher average temperatures than the by the book world generation technique. When I randomly generate systems for smaller M-Class dwarfs, on the rare occasion when I actually get a stanard-sized world in the habitable zone they are always on the cold side of things. I've never gotten a "normal", much less a "warm"

Quote:
The thing that brought this issue to the forefront of my mind just now is trying to generate a society (and adventure) for Gliese 370 II "Persatuan", the highest-Habitability tide-locked world in Central Sector of my randomly-generated universe. It has an average temperature of 27 C, and a calculated dayside temperature of 67 C.
That's a bit on the warm side. I'm guessing that you rolled really high on hydrosphere.

Quote:
I don't understand this. What do you mean by "East Pole"? The subsolar point? The intersection of equator and terminator east of the subsolar point?
Why would the intersection of the equator and the terminator be east of the subsolar point?

Quote:
What is it in Space that makes you think that latitude makes a significant difference? Did I miss something big, or are you bringing in more recent discoveries from other sources?
The average temperature is roughly the seasonal average at a latitude of 45 degrees. Obviously it will be colder on average as you approach the poles and warmer as you get closer to the equator. But in the case of a tidelocked worlc that will actually be a roughly circular band of tolerable temperature all around the sun-side. Frankly I didn't didn't consider the possibility of a warm or even tropical average temperature sun locked world because it's apparently impossible to randomly generate them using the unmodified gurps method.

Quote:
There is still a lot to find out about the planets of M and late K -type dwarf stars — twenty years ago it was still not clear that they were common at all! — but I'm not really holding my breath on the discovery of planets habitable by humans in the system of anything cooler than about K5.
Oh, honestly M0s aren't that bad.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote