View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #20
Kirk

Default Re: Conan the wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
There is a LOT to like with a staff/wand/etc. Strength Battery. And yes, I've thought about it. This thread is making me think about it again.

Things to dislike, or at least to look at hard:

- 99% of wizards will now take the STAFF spell. Does this matter?
- It becomes a very big deal, affecting the way the world works, that a wizard does not want to be separated from his staff. A subset of that: a broken staff is a disaster of the first order. Would staves have to be more like a Staff of Power, immune to Break Weapon to keep all wizards from taking that spell too, and all combats reducing to whose BW could hit first?
- Of course, the rule about "staff explodes when someone else picks it up" has to go.
- The ST Battery, as written, is a LOT harder and costlier to make than a staff that could do the same job.
Another thing to consider is that you donīt have to be a *wizard* to cast spells in TFT. Anyone can take a spell. An archer can take Reverse Missiles, etc.

Does he need to have a staff? Will he be at a disadvantage not wielding one?

There could be some serious side effects if the way staves work in TFT is altered, and I have to say the look on someone's face when they pick up a stick near the camp to throw on the fire and it explodes in their face is priceless. :)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote