Thread: Buckets of CP
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Default Re: Buckets of CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I restricted players from spending more than 1 point on any increase per session... My players hated this because the record keeping was a pain in the ass for them.
How so? That is, what did they find burdensome?

It seems to me that you pretty much have to note how many CP you spend on a skill at character build time. There's already a spot for that on the character sheet and in build tools.

Spending advancement XP is just "add one". You don't need to record the date that CP was earned. It's either spent on that skill, increasing the total by one (say 4 goes to 5, which has no immediate effect), or it's not. Next time around, same deal - you can add one to 5 to make it 6, or not.

Saving up XP for one lump still means you have to add, though not as many times (trivial as that may be), and actually making up your mind what to spend the points on is the same either way.

Trying to record how long it's been since you spent on any particular trait to make sure N sessions had gone by to ensure that you've earned the right tos spend that many would be burdensome, but there's no need to do it that way if you spend as you go. Make the rule that if you haven't decided how to spend the the points by next session, you just haven't spent the point. No spending extra to "catch up' with what "I might have done". If the player is just saving because they don't know what they want to do, that's fine -- but the penalty for not having a proactive plan is just that it takes longer to spend your bank of points -- narrowly, anyway. You could still dump them all on a wider variety of traits. Not being able to do focused spending in minimal time without having that as a plan seems like a benefit, actually.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote