View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul: Combat Skills, Take 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Based on people using MILES gear for training, not really, at least not at the ranges they're doing training at (generally under a hundred meters). There's an argument for long range shooting being a specialized skill or technique and having short range combat only using a couple skills.
Laser tag doesn't call for variable focus, because the lasers don't need to be focused enough to cause damage to the target (in fact, that would be a bad thing). Those would fall under single-focus DEWs, which I noted in the linked thread would indeed use Guns skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Most knives and other small weapons require a significant shift to use them effectively compared to a completely unarmed attack, which to me takes them firmly out of a Striking skill.
I feel Knife has a lot more in common with unarmed combat than it does with Sword (or 1H Balanced in your list) - distancing, leverage, etc. Given the options of either making it its own highly-specialized (compared to most of the others in the revised list) skill or rolling it in with one of those two, I felt rolling it in with unarmed combat was the least-bad option.

Last edited by Varyon; 05-05-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote