Thread: Buckets of CP
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Morgan

Default Re: Buckets of CP

I've done it before, or at least something similar. I would award points towards specific advantages and skills depending on what the characters did that session. For example, the young noble character got points towards Combat Reflexes and High Pain Threshold everytime he got into a fight and/or beaten up. He would also get points towards whatever combat skills he used in any significant encounter. They would also gain points for training during downtime. Learning new skills requires training or a bunch of practice by rolling at default. Rolling a critical on the first default roll for a given skill would grant a free point in it to represent a hidden knack for the skill. When the character accrues enough points, they gain the advantage or another level in the skill.

In addition to this, I would award points that could be spent on anything the players wanted when they accomplished a story goal or did something really cool or impressive or played their character really well. I would also award such a point for the MVP.

I found it worked quite well and it encouraged my players to use more of their skill list. I just made sure to limit it by only allowing 2/3 increases per session to prevent advancing too quickly.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote