View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #40
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: What does Unfit apply to?

I agree that Unfit is fine at -5 - all the stuff it penalizes are either stuff you can choose to avoid (e.g., Extra Effort), or they're things that a lot of Unfit character concepts can avoid (wizards who levitate everywhere, nobles with servants to carry them about, and so on). Too much higher, and it would be more "free points" for the sort of character who would take it. Also, keeping it at -5 makes it much easier to buy off, which is an important thing, I think. The narrative arc of "out-of-shape individual goes on an adventure, gets into much better condition" is, while hardly a defining concept, still a pretty common one. Too much more expensive, and I think you'd just see a lot of characters not take Unfit at all, rather than taking it and buying it off over a couple of sessions.

However, that said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
At - 10 it is the only disadvantage a regular person might have, and at - 15 it is now solely a disadvantage of more capable characters. Reluctant Killer plus Unfit and two Quirks is already -12 points for your everyman.
I don't think using a disadvantage limit as the logic makes much sense for this. Disadvantage limits are an optional rule in the first place, and I don't believe they're intended for NPCs in any case - NPCs should just have whatever disadvantages make sense for the their character concept. Even if we're talking about very low-value player characters, I don't think using "half your character point total" as the disadvantage limit makes much sense. The "half your total" rule breaks down at either high or low point values. For a character built on 25 points, I'd just use -25 points, or even higher, as the disad limit.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote