View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: What does Unfit apply to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
The Unfit disadvantage says that you lose FP at twice the normal rate. What does this apply to?

Does it apply to Extra Effort? Does it matter if the Extra Effort is in or out of combat?
I would say it does apply to Extra Effort, though with a caveat - if an Extra Effort variant is ever developed that costs more than 1 FP to use, I'd still charge only a single extra FP if you use it and have Unfit. Paying 2 FP for Extra Effort if you have Unfit seems reasonable, since Extra Effort is voluntary - that's worth -5 points. Paying, say, 4 FP instead of 2 for "Hypothetical Very Fatiguing Extra Effort Option" seems a bit more punitive than -5 points deserves.

My logic for applying Unfit to Extra Effort is as follows:
First, it just makes sense - Unfit is about being physically out of condition. Extra Effort is pushing yourself beyond your normal physical boundaries. Unfit should make that harder.
Second, Kromm has clarified that the reverse trait, Fit, doesn't apply to Extra Effort, but only because a half-point of FP rounds up to 1. Unfit, however, doubles FP costs. You definitely can pay 2 FP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges
It says it applies to FP lost due to heat. Does this imply that it also applies to FP lost to other hazards like sleep debt, hunger, and thirst? Does it apply to the FP lost at the end of combat?
Yes to all of these, I'd say. Any loss of FP that could be characterized as "physical" would be validly affected by Unfit. The only real exceptions are FP spent on supernatural abilities like energy for spells, using psionic techniques, etc. And even in the case of powers, for some (like Biological), I'd probably impose the penalty for Unfit anyway, because they very physical anyway. That's kind of a limitation, but it would be more than countered, in my opinion, by allowing the converse traits, Fit/Very Fit, to benefit those power sources as well.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote