View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Stacking Preparation Required Limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I'm curious if anyone else has ever considered this...

I am considering building a trait with Preparation Required, Weakened without Preparation and Immediate Preparation Required stacked on top of each other and am wondering if the below combination would be legal.

Weakened without Preparation (-90%): Power works at 50% efficiency if you have eaten meat (or plant*) material in the last 8 hours
Preparation Required (-30%): Must meditate for ten minutes before the power can be attempted**
Immediate Preparation Required (-30%): Must sing for at least a minute while activating the power before it can take effect

* This is an either/or situation. If I were putting that into a trait it would be only one or another.
** And I'm assuming that if a Meditation skill roll was needed this could allow a Requires (Attribute) Roll shifted to a skill roll in addition to any Requires (Attribute) Roll needed to activate the power.
I've stacked the two options in the past as "Weakened without Immediate Preparation" in that case, it simply cancels out one another. Since Immediate Preparation increases the limitation by 1.5 and Weakened without Preparation Required reduces it by 0.5 you'd use the base listed time. For example, "Weakened without Immediate Preparation, 1 minute" is a -20% limitation. I'm not so sure about having two activation rolls, but nothing in the RAW seems to prevent it. It might not be worth the small break in cost it gives.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote