View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Default Re: Preparation Required clarification: Roll before or after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snargash Moonclaw View Post
Roll at the end. Whether you make a skill roll at the end of a one second action or one that takes more time, you won't know if you've succeeded until you finish the whole thing - which generally includes the prep. (Compare to spells with multi-turn casting times.) Optional prep actions, e.g., Symbol Drawing to enhance a subsequent ritual are often made at the end of the prep action since failure simply means no bonus. It would be perfectly legitimate to require simultaneous rolls (with different colored, or otherwise distinct sets of dice) and apply the results of one roll to the other since you might not know how well you prepped until you perform the final action - but these cases are for incorporating variables. (If I required rolls in this fashion I would at least give some chance to "proof" the prep work before the final stage.) Required Prep is generally a Go/No-go determiner. Of course, given the scope of cases in GURPS, subsequent posters may well point out exceptions which I haven't thought of in answering you. When in doubt, I suggest use the above as a default and consider merits of specific cases as they arise.
Thanks. That makes sense. Obviously that makes Preparation Required a more brutal limitation for abilities that require an activation roll vs those that don't.

I wonder, how would you price it if you rolled before the prep time (thus only having to spend the prep time when you know for sure you'll be successful if only your prep isn't disturbed)?