View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Default Re: Experience with Comparative DX for Combat?

Yes, coming from D&D is a big shift in thinking, but that is also part of the problem with this particular house-rule (for me, at least). In D&D, you wouldn't use the difference in level between a 10th and 5th level fighter to dictate bonuses or penalties to hit one another, right? But in a sense, that is what this rule is trying to compare... DX is the way TFT measures a character's raw ability to do things, all sorts of things. Even though DX and DEX both refer to 'dexterity', it is a mistake to assume that TFT and D&D define or use the attribute in the same way. Each stat in TFT is really an amalgam of multiple character qualities and abilities, unlike D&D's more literal attributes.

I actually really enjoy D&D (most versions, anyway) as well as a wide variety of other RPG systems, but I love TFT. The game design is simple, but allows for surprising depth. The combat system is rich and tactical, deadly but extremely rewarding. Many elements require you to accept a more abstracted (and perhaps counter-intuitive) simulation of reality, but you'll soon realize how elegant and balanced the gameplay actually is.

Welcome to The Fantasy Trip!

Last edited by TippetsTX; 07-30-2021 at 09:28 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote