View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Experience with Comparative DX for Combat?

"O, that way madness lies; let me shun that;
No more of that."
- King Lear

Seriously though, I did try this out for awhile, but since DX is the stat for overall character prowess (not just for combat, mind you), using it to create a defensive advantage/disadvantage mechanic on top of that felt unbalanced to me as well as my players. Remember that the higher adjDX also has first strike capability which means much more in TFT than D&D.

And the orc in Chris' example may hit 50% of the time w/o the 'comparative DX' adjustment, but that's only part of the picture. As the more experienced warrior, Aragon will have more than just his higher DX working for him... high ST for hit points and increased damage-dealing, advanced combat talents, toughness, etc. all provide him with significant advantages over his opponent.

P.S. For a more interesting and thematically appropriate application of this idea, however, I would encourage readers to look a the variant fencing rules in Hexagram #6.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 07-30-2021 at 06:13 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote