View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #91
coronatiger

Default Session 23 (2019-09-03)

Thoughts on January 7th

Expecting to remain at the guildhall for the unforeseeable future, Olivia and I had no rush to go exploring. We might as well stay in bed until Karita-time, and join the rest of the crew at breakfast.

The building wrapped around an inner garden, and Ilzo tried to find his way out there, so he could work out before eating. He lost his way, and was brought to Lady Karita’s room where the servant explained that he wasn’t allowed to go exploring on his own.

After breakfast, the receptionist took us on a tour of the facilities. Some areas were still off-limits to us, but Ilzo and I were relieved to hear that we were allowed to practice in the garden. In fact, other members of the guild used it to practice, too. In the basement, the guild performed various experiments. Not really my cup of tea, so I didn’t pay much attention to what was said there. We learned that the guild’s name was Umber Guild of Knowledge, and they had filled their space with not very interesting stuff, such as a library and a study hall. Lady Karita lighted up when she learned that she’d be granted access to those rooms. I yawned and caressed Olivia’s bottom while the others stared wide-eyed at the vast repository of documents.

During the tour, we encountered several guild members, mostly humans, but also some gnomes and dwarves, and a couple of fungoids. Ilzo and I got our fair share of looks; he was a rarity, a red-eyed tower of muscle; I was a celebrity, and provocatively sensuous. The receptionist ended the tour by telling us we had an appointment with the guild’s second in command, Snurre Skjenkheim, at five o’clock, suggesting we take dinner before going to see him.

Ilzo was to be kept away from visitors to the guild, and Lady Karita explained that he wasn’t aggressive, but unfamiliar with our culture. Lady Karita and Va’lyndra headed for the library, but suggested I go train with Ilzo, so we went outside to practice. Olivia tagged along. There were other people in the garden already, some were lifting weights and some were dueling with wooden practice weapons.

I tied a rope between two poles and started warming up. Ilzo picked up a practice sword and asked the others present if any of them were strong enough to challenge him. He got no takers, so eventually he came over to me and asked if I’d fight him. I suggested we try a bit of wrestling, as I wasn’t too keen on being smacked around, even with practice weapons. We agreed on a few simple rules, and then Ilzo attacked. I grabbed his arm and used his momentum to toss him to the ground, winning the first bout. He was a little more cautious after that, and won the next round. “Best of three, before I go back to the rope?” I asked. He won the third bout easily. I hadn’t really expected to win any of them, but the element of surprise proved powerful. He had never seen me use non-lethal techniques before.

Seeing that the orc behaved himself according to the rules, the others there warmed up a little towards him, and Ilzo wrestled most of them. I practiced on the rope and told everyone that I’d be putting on a show later.

After lunch, Olivia and I went back to our room, and I had a bath. Olivia offered to give me a backrub, and we had a nice chat while she straddled me on the bed, kneading muscles I didn’t know were stiff until she loosened them. After a while, I twisted around onto my back, and conversation ceased.

The crew went to see Snurre Skjenkheim after dinner. He turned out to be one of the two men who had met us at the warehouse, the one who did most of the talking while the elderly fellow analyzed artifacts. Now, he introduced himself formally and welcomed us to the guildhall. He also named his companion from the warehouse, Varian Snarr, and told us we should take the remaining two artifacts to his laboratory in the basement after the meeting.

I learned that the deal Va’lyndra and Lady Karita had made with the guild before our expedition would grant us an interview with the sponsors. Master Skjenkheim wanted us to pose any questions to him first. I was under the impression that the artifacts would enable us to contact the gods, and asked how we could contact them if we gave up the artifacts. He had no answer to that question; I should ask the sponsors. The guild researched the artifacts, but only the sponsors knew why. Va’lyndra let slip that she had spilled the details of our dream vision to the guild, who in turn had informed the sponsors and piqued their interest in us.

Master Skjenkheim disclosed that the guild had done some investigation on our behalf, and had discovered who was responsible for the massacre at the hamlet outside Urdon. If we were to deliver the culprit to the authorities in Urdon, their attitude towards us would improve, and the ban might be lifted. Va’lyndra pointed out that only Lady Karita and I had been part of the adventuring party at the time; she and Ilzo had joined us later, so they had nothing unspoken with Urdon. However, both Lady Karita and I wanted to resolve the issue, and I demanded to know more about who had organized the massacre.

The guild had discovered that one of the four branches of the Church, the Inquisition, was behind the massacre. Vice-Captain Gardan Vidkun had been in charge of the operation, and had brought elite soldiers from Surd, back east, to murder the entire hamlet. Master Skjenkheim didn’t have all the details of the investigation, but we could contact one of his agents in Surd for more information on Vice-Captain Vidkun.

The guild leader was curious about Ilzo and asked us about him, why we picked up an orc on our travels. Lady Karita and Va’lyndra explained that we found him sleeping in a ditch, and that he followed us when we rode along. We taught him our language so we could ask him why. Master Skjenkheim expressed a desire to learn about orc culture from Ilzo. My mind drifted off; I don’t know for how long.

“If I want to set up a show while we wait for the sponsors, how do I go about it?” The guild leader ignored my question as Lady Karita queried when the sponsors would arrive. She learned that it could be up to two weeks. Master Skjenkheim excused himself and left for another meeting.

Well, since the guild clearly had no opinion on my show, I traversed the halls and corridors of the three-story building and told everyone I met that I was going to set up a performance at the common room later this evening. Va’lyndra and Lady Karita went to see Varian Snarr about the last artifacts. Ilzo left to have an afternoon practice in the garden.

Most of the guild and all of my friends came to see the show. I balanced on a rope I had tied between two pillars and had a great time. The audience cheered at my stunts and everything was right in the world.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote