View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
arcanus

Default Re: [Psionics] Worldline Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
Well, you could have people of some parallels be randomly incompatible with PSI (effectively having resistant to psi).
That is an interesting idea for some parallels, especially if psionics aren't known to the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The default in GURPS is that anything that is not dependent on ambient energies (like mana) functions anywhere. Now, you could say that there is psionic interference or the like, but you should probably consider adding an extra -5% to the power modifier if it is a really common phenomenon, just out of fairness.
Hmmm psychic static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If you bought 50 points worth of basic strength, but was told when jumping to a new world, "I'm sorry, but no one's stronger than a 9." wouldn't you feel cheated?
To be clear this isn't about stripping the player down, we've gamed together for 20 plus years so they know my shenanigans - no this is about making sure psionics have a interesting flavour on different worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You can also place psionic features in your landscape. This works better for telepathy than TK, but imagine a world that has a psychic scar over an old battlefield that causes pain to anyone with powers who walks over it.
This I like, environmental features that offers a related but different aspect tl magic so said battlefield is mana expected to death and affects psionics through empathic pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
If you do go for the world-rules way of making psionics more or less useful at different places, make sure to let the players know when they make their characters - communication is key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Half of the power modifier for psionics is based on the existence of anti-psi technology. If they're going to spend most of their time on worldlines that are low-tech and/or mundane, I might consider dropping the value of Psionic to -5%.
Absolutely as per above point, happy to also add world appropriate (and perhaps surprising) enhancements v limitations. (maybe even a table)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with one world in a lot of worlds just not allowing psionics. Some don't allow tech above a certain level, some don't allow magic.
That is a good point, as people have said as long as the Worldline flavour (limitations or conditions) are balanced
arcanus is offline   Reply With Quote