View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
Polydamas

Default Re: [MA] Leaving hit locations "open" by focusing defenses elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I've done this myself in a few amateur boxing matches among friends... but on the higher end of things it's a key component of Rope-a-dope. If you're only interested in protecting one part of your chest & stomach or chest & head it's very easy to force your target to strike your arms (or shield) instead of that location the majority of the time they try to attack that location, although it becomes very difficult to protect the abdomen or head (respectively) if you do that.

Alternatively (more along the lines of presenting a side as discussed in Gladiators) you could also adopt a low leaning bent over stance that offered your head, arms (at least upper arms and shoulders) and upper chest (hit location 9), even allowing strikes to the back of hit location 9 from the front, but made it a little more difficult (or perhaps easier to defend via blocks and parries) strikes to your lower torso. This stance would be relatively low and probably require one leg to be forward and therefore also easier to attack at any time.

Thoughts?
Some of those stances in unarmed combat can be represented as All-Out Defense in GURPS.

In armed combat, stances with a strong forward lean, such as in MS I.33 and Salvator Fabris, are usually meant to protect targets below the ribcage (Abdomen, Groin, Leg, Foot) by moving them well behind the threat of the stander's own weapon. They tend to work better out of armour.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote