View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #51
sonic232

Default Re: Reign of Steel is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Speaking with my "author of Will to Live" hat on, I would use the standard GURPS rules: starting wealth based on the campaign TL (presumably 9), bearing in mind that some things aren't readily available depending on where you are.

If your recruits were, say, nomads from Zone Denver, well, they were clearly successful nomads, but they probably don't have a TL9 hoverjeep because the satellites would spot the dust and IR plume and roving Vultures would kill it. But they may well have some quite nifty guns.

If I were running a campaign of "struggling nomads", I'd probably put some degree of Poverty on the required-traits list.

If I wanted my PCs to be dependent on Virus for everything, I'd put Flat Broke on the template (as G&A suggested); then they'd have their VIRUS-issued gear and nothing else.

And so on. It's a big world and can fit a lot of different sorts of campaign.
Sir, thank you so much for replying to this. I've actually adapted most of the backgrounds you give in that supplement to fit the 20 point GURPS Action backgrounds, modifying the disadvantages from 'required' to 'added to your suggested list on the template' as well so they don't go over the suggested -50 Disadvantage limit that Action puts in when you use Rule of Ham, other than Social Stigma (Outlaw), which I'm making a required disadvantage. I use it to buy some of the advantages that go with the backgrounds that include it. Mechrider, though, I couldn't reduce, so you have to pay 20 additional points out of Advantages to get it.

As for equipment, I'm going to do starting equipment GURPS Action style, where characters are encouraged to use VIRUS equipment rather than their own, given the starting wealth as a budget, which is looking to be TL 9's $30,000, but they're welcome to purchase with their own wealth with the caveat that VIRUS has already gone through the trouble of making sure the equipment they provide isn't as easily tracked by the machines to be specific to their group rather than VIRUS in general. The reason I was asking the question is I wanted to be sure I stayed within what the campaign expects and I'm going to be designing some Loadouts for the templates in Action and the Backgrounds from Will to Live.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote