View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #23
kirbwarrior

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Medium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How ranges usually work with traits is that the trait says exactly how range works with it. Medium mostly...doesn't. Medium only appears to distinguish two range bands: "nearby"/"in your presence", where you can detect and converse with spirits, and everywhere else.
Yeah, exactly. I'm not sure I'm supposed to interpret it as "within talking distance"/"anywhere ever" but it doesn't sound like that's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
As the name perhaps implies, Medium really seems to be designed for games with a "classical spiritualist" view of spirits, which is to say mostly spirits of the dead, which dwell in a very abstract and vaguely defined "spirit realm" in which distance doesn't mean very much - so if the spirit of Julius Caesar hears you (and hasn't Moved On to a Higher Realm, in which case, forget it), he can reach you if he chooses, even if you are on the Moon. But because spirits are so abstract and vaguely conceived, you can't really go statting them up as characters; they do very little conventional character stuff apart from talking to people.
Hmm. That makes it seem like there can be a completely different approach to Medium of "I can gain information in a manner completely unrelated to me and my capabilities" or a very exotic Contact.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote