View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Unusual-Sized People and the Firearms They Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Firstly I'd like to say it would be very cool to have a write-up for "Gulliver"-type settings. I would propose that the PCs are ordinary parachronic scientists who are superhuman due to being huge compared to the "tiny folk".

But I digress.

For creatures way outside human sizes--for instance, the 12-inch (SM-4) Lilluputians or the 70' (SM+7) Brobdingnagians, how would firearms be altered? I'm talking about the effect the square-cube law would have...
Ultimately: Any way you like. SM-4 people shoulden't be able to be intelligent with human brains, and SM+7 humans should die quite quickly from heart problems. So a Gulliver type setting is not realistic and dealing with altered physics.

This is not in and of itself a problem- but now the issue is:
1. if physics is normal besides whatever is allowing the big guys and the little guys then they are just not going to go down the same paths- the little guys are not going to bother developing weapons that barely hurt people (as tiny firearms would- their concept of ranged warfare might be completely retarded. Big guys would basically never have developed direct fire weapons, or else they would develop absolutely insane peperbox style direct fire weapons, and move on to gatling guns and heavy machine guns quickly (50 cal will happily go through 4' of giant thigh about as easily as it goes through a human torso).

2. If physics is different across the board- and the tiny people can have tiny wars with tiny rifles and everything on their scale is 'normal'- you can ad-hoc basically any response as it 'scales up' likewise for the big people (Though you may have to question why the big people would develop a SM+7 .50, instead of just using the perfectly fine for killing giants SM 0 .50 as a gatling pistol).

Also:

http://www.gamesdiner.com/gurps/GULL...ndexframe.html
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote