View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Default Re: Is Independent on Mind Control worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Reprogrammable's flavor depends on whether you also have slave mentality right?
Yes. Normally, those are the different results you'd get depending on the target. To make that +70% for Independent worthwhile, I was suggesting treating the targets behavior similarly, but depending on whether your MC had Independent, rather than whether the target had Slave Mentality.

A strict means to the same end would be adding a Linked Affliction of SM or "No SM" with Accessibilities depending on the target's possibly existing SM to always deprive the targets of creativity or make sure they always had it, as the case might be. But that's pretty clumsy. Since you'd presumably normally want your MC victims to be able to independently initiate activity to help you out, that might be a houserule way to interpret Independent; it costs some more points, but you always get a subject independently doing their best to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You mean without giving the Puppet -40% discount (B69)
Sort of, but the other way around. Puppet makes sure the target always has SM for the purposes of following the MC, a Limitation for the MCer. I was suggesting having Independent be the opposite, an Enhancement that ensures the target does not have SM with respect to your MC, so they help you on their own.

Sticking to the more strictly RAW Linked Affliction version, you might use Puppet to get a consistent base case and save some points to apply to the Affliction of "No SM" to remove it for all, rather than fuss with opposed Accessibilities to Limit the Affliction of "No SM" only to those that had SM, while also requiring that Affliction of SM to all targets (like Puppet), though you could squeeze to a tiny amount of CP by also using Accessibility to limit the Affliction of SM only to those that didn't already have it. Clumsy, as I said, if strictly legal. But possibly worth doing as an exercise just for price comparison if you were also contemplating changing the Enhancement value for Independent. (Or adding a new Enhancement to that end, though I like the name "Independent" for referring to that independence of target action, whereas the utility of the current Enhancement just for controlling many targets as noted by the OP would probably be better with a name like "Mass Control".)

The tortuous nature of the conversations shows why you might rather just reinvent the existing modifiers rather than trying to build the effects out of existing ones, even though that's possible. Since it's all a houserule anyway, you might just note the end effects you want the ability to have directly.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote