View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #96
Humorme

Default Re: Munchkin with two players

Sorry. Been away from the forums for a while. Things happen. Here's some things to try:

1) Institute a "ghost" player. Sometimes I play 2-p munchkin with my g/f and we institute a ghost player who's hand is always face-up. The general idea is he doesn't bother a level 1 or anyone at half his level. He will always use cards to interfere with the highest level player at the first opportunity. Some basics like that will give ghost man a nasty personality and you may just find yourself teaming together just to beat him.

2) As said a few times, use the fast game-play rules. They are good for this sort of thing.

3) Add a new dimension to the game. Currently, I am shamed to say that I have not yet bought munchkin quest. Things happen. Instead, I pulled out my D&D tile sets and miniatures. Basically, I created my own form of Munchkin Quest using D&D tiles and minis, munchkin cards, and some platic "gold" coins. Though I havn't tried it 2-player yet, I'd be willing to bet it would be just as fun. I'm sure that will happen soon. I'll post some specifics in a different thread once I've worked through the game to see how it goes in its final form. That is, of course, if it doesn't violate any forum policies. It does use the fully copyrighted Munchkin game, so I don't see how I could claim any royalties.

Some other ideas I entertained, but havn't tested:

Each player gets two hands. The objective is to win with one hand that you're playing, but not both. Winning with both hands causes you to lose (here I refer to winning with both hands as reaching level 10 with one hand and the other hand being higher level than either of your opponent's hands). In theory, this method would be interesting since it would be bad to power-play both hands and encourages your opponent to help your losing hand or to even become self-destructive to cause both your hands to win. Additionally, for this type of game, I would allow GUALs to be played on other players.

Another idea is that each player plays their own self and their own ghost player. They would pre-determine which hand is their actual hand, while their ghost-player hand is trying to beat them. This was my g/fs idea and while it has merit, I didn't feel like trying to figure out how to properly go about doing this. Once you get down to making rules for this style of playing (which I like to do even if I know no one would cheat) you can see where complications would arise if you don't base it on the honor system.

Last edited by Humorme; 11-25-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Humorme is offline   Reply With Quote