View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 08:06 PM   #15
mburr0003

Default Re: Fast Draw critical success

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
I always wonder what point someone is trying to make when they say something like this. Are you just trying to point out that a real 250 point archer would be stronger and better than a self-taught modern amateur archer?
I'm pointing out that he is getting his speed by sacrificing power, as tbone recognized. If we wanted to do it "realistically", we need to either radically lower the damage done with each shot, or just use the rule in Martial Arts and apply a -10 for a "draw and fire in 1 turn" shot.

Quote:
Lars Anderson doesn't even claim to have originated the arrow-holding techniques he advocates.
The arrow holding technique has less to do with his speed than under-drawing a low-draw strength bow does. He's basically just 'flicking' the arrows with just enough power to stick int he target or knock askew other arrows.

He also does a lot of takes to get the perfect shots he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
But: For dungeon-delving cinematic "realism", crazy-fast attacks at full power sound right!
Certainly. I'd even allow it in a realistic game with teh -10 rules from Martial Arts. But then I prefer higher levels of cinematic action in my games, even if I'm doing a "gritty, dirty, bleak, and desperate" genre.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote