View Single Post
Old 02-16-2022, 02:00 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Tech Level news: so, you can buy a Gauss Rifle now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The question is arguably about how much waste heat they generate. Certainly, the current prototype generates quite a bit - I believe in the video where he tested it out on the FW range (not the failed BUG match) he ended up having to wait a bit after shooting a decent number of the larger projectiles at full power, as the device was hot enough that further shooting risked damaging it - but it may well be the case that mature gauss weapons will generate less waste heat than comparable conventional weapons (which, after all, rely on a rather high-temperature reaction to propel their bullets).
High operating temperatures don't have a simple connection to high waste heat. Gauss guns possibly can be a bit more efficient than firearms, but I don't think they'll drop the heat/kinetic energy ratio by a huge factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
As to operating heat unless the barrel of the gauss weapon was hot enough to burn any unprotected hands that touched it it is already generating less waste heat.
It's already operating at the energy per shot of a bullet that barely qualifies as a weapon. A .22 short SMG would probably get that hot eventually, but I don't know that it would within a reasonable test.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 02-16-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote