View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #41
Toubrouk

Default Re: Planet Destroyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
All right I know it's a mistake to get involved in a Star Wars/ physics discussion...
The truth is, can you name another instance in the history of science-fiction where a planet got blew-up besides star-wars? I can say the "Hitchiker Guide To the Galaxy" but the material based on this book is quite rare to find. Oh well, let's forget the works of Georges Lucas for now on.
Quote:
...but here goes:

Isn't Apophis (being a solid rock) actually denser then a basically hollow spacecraft?
True, at first sight, the rock got an edge. But at the moment of impact, i believe that the density of what the warship is made will tip the balance.

Another thing, the warship can be filled with ammo and fuel. Depending of the type of the ship, the worst of the damage might not be done by planetfall.

In the backround of one of my games, a large spaceship went crashing on a planet. he never reached the ground. The ship was antimatter-powered. during re-entry, the engine block broke and released 30 kilos of anti-hydrogen. The following explosion blew the ship into pieces, burned the atmosphere of the planet and sank one of the bigest continent. the stress on the planet's crust was strong enough to brake it appart, sending it sink towards the center of the planet, leaving at the surface a neverending ocean of molten larva.

Needless to say, all the habitants of the planet died.
Quote:
Also Apophis is going faster than a Star Destroyer that is just falling from orbit.
If a ship fall from orbit, i would have to assume that it's by unvolontary reasons (damage, accident, engine failiure, pilot error) so velocity will not go over the "Normal" re-entry speed of the space shuttle (Mach 25 if i remember clearly).

If the meteor got a velocity, it would be breaked by the atmosphere. By how much? I can't tell.

Last edited by Toubrouk; 12-09-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Toubrouk is offline   Reply With Quote