View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #76
wellspring

Default Re: GURPS Starships line errata (and some observations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
The $4000/ton price of Jet fuel on spaceships p46 seems way too high.

Of course such values will depend on how plentiful such is in the setting but it is off by a factor of >10 compared to 2016 refinery prices. The monthly average refinery price of jet fuel/ton has varied from 350 to 450 usd. That corresponds to about 280 to 360 Gurps dollars. As comparison the prices for liquid hydrogen and rocket fuel seem about right for current prices.

So in a fairly plentiful oil scenario like current earth 1/10 of the price or $400 would seem fairly good approximation.
I'd make it an even $1000 or even higher. Recall that $400 is the price at the refinery, ie prior to factoring in distribution costs. The normal rule of thumb if you don't know anything about an industry is to assume that each step in the distribution chain is x2 the price. That's true whether you have vertical integration or not, incidentally. In this case, it's the cost of transporting the fuel, a premium to cover loss and accident, and the carrying cost of safety stock to ensure that stock-outs are infrequent.

Your prices are correct at the refinery, but then I double-checked for prices in my state and the range of prices charged for general aviation are 1200 - 2300 depending on the airport. That's quite a range, and since I'm not a pilot maybe I'm mis-reading the data. (Src: https://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html)

So at least as I read it, SS is off but not grossly so.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote