View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
The same thought occurred here. And I'm sure some of us are rolling at default. :)

Actually, that brings up an interesting point -- are there other skills that could reasonably give a default Administration roll besides Merchant? For example, as a reporter, I've covered governments at various levels (city, county, school board, legislature) for about 16 years. That's a lot of budgets and procedures negotiated and translated into English. But I think giving myself a point in Administration would be an overly generous assessment of my management abilities!

I see three alternatives in my own case:
1) Make me a Dabbler in Administration.
2) Set my IQ high enough for this to be covered as part of the "general knowledge" IQ default.
3) Allow a default from Professional Skill: Journalist, given the context. (Or maybe from an appropriate Current Affairs skill, instead.)
I'd guess you might have administration. Its a pretty common skill for just about every white collar job. I mean, even though some management goes to school for it, a lot of low level corporate management just comes out of the worker level. Its one of those skills, like computer operation, that is just drilled into our society. No, not everybody in you office at work has it, but it is all over the place.

Of course, there's a difference between good leadership and good management. And some of what we've been calling administration might be better called saviore-faire (office)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote