View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Several questions about Arm Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
1. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses only one hand for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to the enemy's grappling hand (arm). Does that mean he automatically loses his grip?
I'm not 100% sure. It seems logical that yes, once you succeed with all the rolls and the enemy fails all the defences.

Quote:
2. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses both hands for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to one of his arms. Does that mean he automatically loses his grip with both hands?
He shouldn't. See MA116: Sound of One Hand Grappling for the penalties he suffers as a result, though (assuming the answer in #1 is correct).

Quote:
3. Me and my enemy have grappled each other. He uses both hands for grappling. On my turn I apply Arm Lock to the enemy. Say, he still has me grappled. On my next turn I use "passive" opportunity to inflict 4 HP as injury and then I immediately try to Break Free as my maneuver. Will my enemy suffer from -4 shock penalty as per Pain and Breaking Free (MA119)?
I don't see a reason why in this case Shock shouldn't behave as it normally does.

Quote:
4. I apply Arm Lock to the enemy using both hands. On my next turn I punch him, though I keep Arm Lock with my other hand. I assume that I can't claim +5 and +4 bonuses in Quick Contest against enemy's attempts to Break Free, as per The Sound of One Hand Grappling. Will my enemy still suffer from -4 penalty to active defenses? If not, what's the benefit from one-handed Arm Lock? Only penalized "free" attempts to hurt the enemy?
According to MA116, the extra bonuses are ditched, but there's no mention of ditching the Active Defence penalty. Plus free damage is actually quite useful, as is the right to perform Throws From Locks (which are nasty!).