View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
Plane

Default Re: The Raid: Redemption, a Technical Grappling Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
inspired by TG's writer Douglas Cole's "Technical Natasha" blog post to do my own TG Analysis
I wish we could program an AI to do this type of thing for every single movie fight scene ever but we're probably several decades away from that type of video recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
Rama Stabs WS’s leg with knife and then cuts down the leg [/B]
This highlights one of the situations I'd love to see special rules for.

I think somewhere in MA they just said to treat that like a rapid strike (thrust>swing) but it just feels weird because you couldn't realistically get a "swinging motion" to build up momentum with your weapon beginning inside a wound.

Plus there should probably be fewer problems making a roll to hit (perhaps just automatic like when you "Worry" after a bite?) and more problems defending against it. Those kinds of benefits could perhaps be offset by less damage (just like worries)

Watching a lot of Walking Dead lately (and remembering Goblin Slayer) more effort being needed for pulling weapons outside of wounds also is the type of gritty thing this would combine well with.

ER shows also talk about not removing impaling objects because they help plug the wound and slow blood loss (paramedic leaves it in for surgeon if possibly) so maybe this cold somehow align too: you may want to take a weapon out not just to make a new wound, but also to cause more bleeding for your foe.

IE if you have a knife already, there's still incentive to pull a knife already sticking out of an opponent, even if you're not going out of your way to cut them more on the way out, they could bleed more.

Fullers are probably mostly made to lighten weapons but I'm not convinced they picked up nicknames like "blood groove" (or "Blutrinne") without cause... could those maybe make it easier to pull swords out of deep thrusts because pressure would be exerted mostly on the thicker flats near the edge with less pressure gripping the thinner flat on the middle?

Gory TWD spoilers (NSFW) ahead...

The pause here after impaling a zombie in the skull for example is what I mean: that was a knife clearly not as immediately available for a followup stab as compared to if you hit nothing but air. A visible pause where you then see an effort to take it out.

Leverage might have something to do with this too... in a "hammer grip" like this you would have a harder time moving the knife away from the injury side (relying on bicep strength) compared to using a standard forward-thrust grip where you could use your stronger upper back muscles.

two hands would obviously help with removing a weapon from a deep wound in the same way as it would with inflicting more damage or doing a better grapple or better Break Free... here too is a good example of a brief pause and slight addition of effort in removing a weapon from the "sheath" that is a wound...

Given the "sheath" analogy, if we treat wounds like sheaths then even if you charged a "ready" to remove weapons from deep wounds, you could make that a 'free action' using the Quick-Draw skill so that expert fighters don't need to be slowed down. Also makes that skill a MUCH better investment if it's a situation that comes up a lot more often.

This could apply to swing-cut too as we see how Rick Grimes uses a push-kick to aid in removing a machete from a skull. Relative elevation seems to matter too: it's easier to pull something "up" off a wound to the top of a skull the higher up you are. That's why lowering the posture of a target would make it easier.

Of course if you do enough damage to overpenetrate this would not be a worry: if you've gone all the way through the other side of a zombie skull then it's clearly not gripping your blade anymore and you don't need to worry about followup efforts to retrieve the weapon for a followup attack.

Seems these mechanics were added to "Walking Dead: Onslaught" video game too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Update
Sharp melee weapons (blades and axes) now stick inside of a Walker's skull on kill and will resist easy removal; higher quality sharp melee weapons such as the Katana and Battle Axe have the least resistance of removal.
Dead Walkers no longer automatically detach from sharp melee weapons when impaled.
While impaling a Walker with a sharp melee weapon, player movement is restricted for as long as the weapon remains stuck in the Walker.

The Knuckle Knife has been completely re-tuned to better emphasize blunt damage (two-hit punch to the head, one-hit when upgraded); the knife end is no longer an instant kill head strike but also does not stick in skulls on kill.

Choked or impaled Walker corpses have increased simulated weight, but no longer automatically fall to the floor.
As best I can tell "choked" is a term they are using to represent Armed Grappling, though I'm not sure how 'simulated weight' applies here.

AFAIK this is the only FPS type game (or maybe VG in general?) that tries to merge grappling mechanics (like we see in UFC) w/ weapon mechanics, as most video game weapon mechanics seem based purely on striking. If anyone knows of anythingelse to incorporate that I'd love to take a look as these seem like great TG-fuel, rather than needing to purely browse the fight scenes of movie/TV.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote