View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
phayman53

Default Re: How applicable is Dungeon Fantasy 16: Wilderness Adventures to non-DF Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I used it in a non-DF game where the PC's party spent a lot of time stomping around in the wilderness. It worked well, and didn't require other DF books to be useful. I think it refers to the simpler rules on wilderness camping in DF2 once or twice, but it's nothing that you can't work around. I'd say that the first dozen pages of DF16 (a 60 page book) are DF specific (they deal with the various DF templates), but the rest is generally applicable.
Good to know it works with non-DF and that the much of the book is generally applicable, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
To give you a reference point: The rules for outdoor exploration and survival in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 16: Wilderness Adventures are roughly as cinematic as the rules for commando, detective, and spy activities in GURPS Action 2: Exploits.

In more absolute terms: Those rules are based on realistic rules from various other Third and Fourth Edition supplements, but whenever they run into either "too much math" or "too much lethality," they relent to make the game more fun. Which isn't to say they're toothless; they retain enough risk to make the relevant tasks useful as challenges to even powerful characters (who are, after all, the baseline in Dungeon Fantasy and Action).

All told, I'd say the rules are more than good enough for a gaming group accustomed to larger-than-life gaming where little details like having to dress warmly, eat, pee, and sleep are simply ignored. By comparison to that, they'll seem almost harshly realistic! But for a gaming group accustomed to counting every bandage, battery, bean, and bullet – say, real-life preppers, or history nuts who can't invest in a setting that doesn't have rotten teeth and lead poisoning from the cookware – they may well seem too forgiving.
That gives me a reference point, thank you Dr. Kromm! I think it sounds about right for my group as, while they are history enthusiasts, I don't think any one of them is going to want to count the kind of detail that a true simulationist would.

As with so many of us, I really appreciate you and the other GURPS staff/writers engaging so much on these forums.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote