View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 01:24 AM   #35
whswhs

Default Re: Punching someone into a "Fine Red Mist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
A few years back, I saw a doctor claim that roughly 16 yards is the LD50 scenario for a fall - i.e., it's the height at which 50% of falls are fatal.

Making a bunch of assumptions about details not given in the doc's brief comment, and mapping that to game rules to the the extent possible, yields the (arguable) conclusion that GURPS should roughly double its damage for this particular fall. (That's if the game wants to be brutally realistic - and I'm not saying it needs to aim for that.)

Mildly interesting stuff for the simulation crowd. You can see all the details here.
I sympathize with the comment about movies. I went with C to the second Bond film that had Daniel Craig (the first time I had seen him), and the opening combat scene had him and his foe fighting in a building under repair (a church, I think) and falling repeatedly onto scaffolding at different levels. And as I watched him slam into those hard surfaces, undamaged, suddenly in my brain he turned into a toon. I couldn't take any of his travails in the rest of the movie seriously; you can't hurt a toon. And that left me with an aversion to Craig as an actor, which was only reinforced by seeing him and Rooney Mara in the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote