View Single Post
Old 04-28-2022, 04:20 AM   #22
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Questions while reading rules more accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes because these are slips while parrying or dodging in GURPS terms.
It's still game mechanically a "retreat" just with a reduced bonus.

Real world martial arts don't use GURPS rules terms of art. They also say that boxers "block" punches, but last time I checked shields aren't permitted in the sport.

But in some styles, full backwards retreats and advances are common. The back-and-forth of sport fencing is probably the most obvious, since it's in line, but most armed fighting incorporates them to some extent. For example nearly every spear or polearm form's basic defense against an attacker with a shorter weapon is to drop the point and retreat backwards.
It seems then the entire thing then doesn't matter, especially considering that Kromm post about 'just giving an inch' and the step doesn't even matter unless the GM wants it to matter.
But also at the same time having obstacles as the limiter.

Which doesn't make much sense to me.
Why would an obstacle ever matter if this so called retreat can just be a small shift and the fighters could just stay in the same hex orbiting one another.

Eternally out of range, but also in range.
Why even do the step then?
"I'm at trained fighter and will always keep up the most optimal spacing"
"No the room is full of clutter"
"That's fine, I'm only moving an inch, the inch that matters. Now give me my bonuses on defense, not my fault GURPS does 1yard hexes"

Does not sit right with me.
But maybe I'm just sore because now my scoff target monkey is no more.
It was actual fighting all along.
Grmml...hmmlrhgl....
No wonder evaluation goes under the wheels of the bus if this kind of stuff is all 'realistic'.
Which if it were a proper retreat, wouldn't be.

Cause yeah, boxers tend to keep their guard up, to block even though they footwork around back and forth.
That's because they are not leaving the attack range, merely keeping 'boxing range' because otherwise it's a clinch or whatever.

And now I'm inclined to think of fencing in the same way.
You're trying to sell me it as a retreat, a back an forth, 'steps'.
But now I just consider it fighting spacing.

This entire setup does not sit right with me. This 'yeah it's a retreat, but i actually didn't move very far" thing.

Edit:
Regarding the fencing.
Without hexes. How could fencing ever exist?
"I only move 1 inch away as my step, it's small but that's 1 inch out of range of my enemy"
"I close the gap and advance an inch and strike"

Or do fencers have to do the big back and forth by law?

"No you can't move an inch, you have to take a real step backwards so you can back yourself against the wall, please stop retreating"
"No...we're not playing on hexes where I'd be forced to bounce back and forth a yard, we're playing simple combat, and I'm only moving the important inch, just enough to be safe and we will do this forever"

There's just something that doesn't gel with me going for a retreat that isn't one. Somthing about this is stupid, it might be I, but I stand by this.
There is something awkward about this. I'd rather see a retreat as moving out of range of the attacker, how else would pressure ever build up?

If you already share the hex, or the simplified mindspace of the battlefield, how do you push forward. You're already here!
It's just that you foe 'shifted' a little.

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 04-28-2022 at 04:38 AM.