View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
Varyon

Default Re: Which skills are worh raising really high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Youi've left out Skills which get roled in active contests v. npcs. Observation v. Stealth is just one example.
Provided there's no real limit on what sort of Advantages one can pick up (and in a campaign where buying skill 40 or whatever is A-OK, I'd expect that to be the case), I suspect at some point just grabbing something like Detect (Living Things) is better for countering Stealth than just having Observation sky-high. Of course, if there's relatively free reign to grab Advantages (with some GM oversight, of course, so you don't just have That One Guy making broken Advantages like M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. or whatever), eventually a stealthy character is better off grabbing a few instances of Obscure 10 (Defensive, Stealthy, Extended), rendering said character literally impossible to see/hear/smell/detect/whatever (although personally, I feel Obscure 10 being a hard stop is inappropriate, but that is a huge digression here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
The concept of Skill-40 being "not enough" for just about anything short of "Let's see if I can hit that mountaintop there on the horizon with an arrow" boggles my mind.
To be fair, that would also require a rather sizable ST and a bow capable of making use of it (or a magic bow with markedly improved range, or an Imbuement with similar effect, or whatever).

For my own $0.02, I'd echo others that have said combat skill. However, I personally feel ridiculous skill would be kind of boring. For melee, I'd be inclined to cap skill somewhere in the low 20's, or perhaps just something like DX+10 (but allow purchase of Tech! if you need to go higher). For ranged, I'm rather inclined to make use of (at least some variation of) Tactical Shooting's "Minute of Arc" rules, which cap what one's effective skill can be anyway, depending on your weapon.