View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
Plane

Default Re: GURPS Technical Grappling Max Control Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're doing here. For using both arms and both legs, just consult the table in the back. You ST is boosted to 1.5xST, then add training bonus. That sets your control maximum.
I figure you do that when you're using all four limbs to grapple a single Hit Location as a single attack.

I'm talking about using four separate attacks of each limb grappling a different hit location (the mirror location on opponent).

Which I guess would require facing the same direction to avoid a tangled mess, otherwise if facing opposite directions (face to face, or back to back) you'd need to flip the sides (left hand grapples right hand, right hand grapples left hand, etc)

Quote:
Anything more complicated than this already-too-complicated math is going to be some combination of unwise, unneeded, unhealthy, immoral, or fattening.
Tracking CP (and what implement is maintaining that CP) on a location-by-location basis doesn't sound any worse than keeping track of injury on a per-limb basis which is already an optional rule.

Quote:
See above using the TG rules. You can - and might possibly should - adjust Control Max based on what limbs are in use...but that's EVEN MORE turn to turn bookkeeping in a system that indulges in too much of that already.
I guess one of the complications is incorporating the idea of diminishing returns for arm/leg cooperation as TG47 shows...

It seems like nothing is lost when you combine hands (0.5+0.5 = 1.0) or legs (0.6+0.6=1.2) so it's not about the number of limbs, as 1arm+1leg is 0.7 instead of 1.1

I guess that's something to do with TG7's "combine in pairs" instruction.

The thing about adding BL and then reverse-engineering the BL to find the ST needed for it is that's prob going to need a lot of pre-calculating for the many possible calculations of hand numbers for creatures like the "Hundred Handed" of greek legend (Hecatonchieres) where would be more convenient if we could just multiply hands used by 0.5 since then you don't need to precalc anything.

I realize that would make them super-powerful but is that a bad thing?

Also makes a very small jump from 2>3 hands then a larger jump from 3>4 hands.

I guess the intent is that you don't want a 4-armed ST 5 being to overpower a 2-armed ST 10 being, but maybe that could be approached some other way like the ST 10 guy having more 'core strength' with some kind of torso ST that could supplement limb ST when you have a weight advantage?

This could also make it possible for 1 arm to pin 1 arm, which seems like a realistic scenario so long as there is a weight advantage established via a superior overtop position

That's already possible with doubling max CP though, because then 0.5xST could establish a max of ST CP, which could induce a penalty to ST equal to 0.5xST, which is enough to reduce the 0.5xST of an equal-ST foe to 0 (effective pin)

This is just the idea of toying with another approach to getting the +100% max CP from that, instead of limbs having twice the potential to pin inherently, instead you get that "twice the potential" through some other less-flexible means, like being able to use gravity/torso advantageously.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote