View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Plane

Default Re: implausibly long swords, stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Scaling weapons is in Low Tech companion 2.

Thrusting greatsword SM+0
sw+3 cut or thr+3 imp; Reach 1, 2; $900; 7 lbs.; ST 12.

Following the rules in the above pdf we get:

Thrusting greatsword SM+2
sw+8 cut or thr+8 imp; Reach 2, 4; $5625; 43.75 lbs.; ST 30.

But that means anyone of SM 0 has a -2 to skill to use this weapon, before ST penalty.
Thanks for directing me here, read pg 21.

That's a good place to start, but I'm thinking in terms of scaling down the thickness of the weapon so that it isn't as heavy (and has a lower ST requirement) in exchange for being easier to damage.

Like say you kept the total mass fixed (you made the sword thinner, or hollow) as you lengthened a sword to double, triple, or even quadruple it's normal reach.

The ST requirement might still be higher (bad leverage) but it should be less than the ST required by the equal-density scaled up version.

Even if the same total weight meant the same amount of total HP, since that HP would be spread out over a bigger volume, it should be a more fragile weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
The best we can do is the following (also in the pdf):

Thrusting greatsword SM+2, with SM+1 grip.
sw+8 cut or thr+8 imp; Reach 2, 4; $8437.50; 43.75 lbs.; ST 30.
I don't know why it would be capped to at most a 1 SM difference though. It should in theory be possible for ANY disparity, but perhaps with it being more costly? InuYasha's Tessaiga comes to mind as one example where there's a huge disparity between the length/width of the blade compared to thickness handle, as an example. The Zanbato wielded by Sagara Sanosuke is another, although it had a long handle, it was narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Maybe "Absurd Rapiers" from Fantasy-Tech 2?
This is the closest match I've seen in the books so far...

It doesn't elaborate as much as I'd like though. I was hoping on more specifics like making them flimsier in exchange for being lighter (without losing reach).

The examples in the list seem to have higher ST requirements than usual rapiers.

I think this could serve as a baseline but I'd need some other kind of rule on how to lighten weapons whilst weakening them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Or "Giant Swords" (the same book), but they are just greater versions, not just longer (giant sword with Reach 5 weiighs 86 lbs :P )
*reads pg 8* I think the "Lighter Giant Swords" option is NEARLY what I'm looking for, but it treats the weapon as having full weight for calculating HP, which isn't what I want...

These basically assume it to be "orichalcum" or similar, but I'm looking for the pathetic baseline stats if you made such things out of wispy or hollow amounts of mundane materials with normal weights.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote