View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Plane

Default implausibly long swords, stats?

Does anyone know if there are rules on how to instruct implausibly long swords (like say 4+ yards) that would've never been traditionally useful beyond ornamental purposes since they would normally either need to be very thin/brittle to be light enough to wield (so would break in battle) or very thick/heavy to be usable (limiting their speed, assuming they could be swung at all) ?

I was thinking that because there are special enchantments which can increase the durability of items or decrease the weight of items that such swords, initially constructed with horrible stats, might actually be improved through enchantment to become useful in battle.

They should still probably have a lot of drawbacks, like the penalty for using high-reach weapons at closer ranges... and compared to ranged weapons, you couldn't as easily just shoot overtop allies in an arc (like arrows) you would need to aim in a straight line THROUGH them, making it harder to avoid.

I realize in terms of designing advantages you would probably just make it a 'jet' but I'm wondering for non-advantage approaches to doing these, how to assign realistic stats so you could use them (maybe just once, then it breaks) in battle (sword of like how the Giant's Knife breaks while the Biggoron's Sword doesn't) and then maybe compensate for that using enchantments or some kind of DR-endowing Affliction.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote