Thread: Armor up!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Default Re: Armor up!

Let's see if we can drum up some discussion here.

So while we're on the topic of armor, what do folks think about requiring a talent for wearing armor? I think most would agree that running around in heavy armor and fighting effectively requires training. And TFT already requires a talent for wielding a shield (though I find the RAW version of that talent a bit too strict).

To that end, I'm playtesting the following...

IQ 9 - ARMOR TRAINING (1)
A character can't simply put on a suit of armor and expect to fight or maneuver effectively. Armor may be worn without training, of course, but if the character expects to use armor regularly, the investment is worthwhile. This talent covers the basics of donning, wearing and maintaining all types of armor. Without this talent donning armor takes twice as long and, while wearing armor, performing most non-combat physical actions (climbing, swimming, horseback riding, etc.) adds a die to any task roll. Finally, armor worn by an 'untalented' figure will enforce an additional -1 DX penalty in combat.

(In my framework this is a 'Novice' tier, Basic talent costing 1 IQ at character creation or 250 XP afterwards)