View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #9
Donny Brook

Default Re: Kind of new to GURPS help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjday View Post
1. Where do I start? I have a lot of material beyond the core books (Magic, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Powers etc).
I want the campaign to be tailored perfectly, but I must admit I am a bit overwhelmed by all the options, how do you practically narrow it all down?
Go with fantasy not supers. GURPS is great for supers, but character creation would be challenging for your newbies.

Have as clear a sense of your setting as possible.

Arbitrarily limit the rule/source books you will use and simply ignore anything specifically labelled optional unless you already have it in mind that you want to use it. I would suggest just Basic Set plus the book for whichever magic system you choose.

Quote:
2. How do I present this all to my players? I have a diverse group and some will love all the character building options the game brings, others will glaze over and sigh and still others will become frustrated unless I present it to them in a way they can understand. I only have one set of books so a character generation session I feel is going to be a long stressful time.
One size need not fit all. And be warned that GURPS character creation is usually a more in-depth procees than many other systems. For those interested in doing it themselves, let them, possibly equipped with templates, but vet their results carefully. For those not interested in DIY, you can get an outline and build them for them. Do not have a full-group chargen meeting.

Quote:
3. How do you run your games and prepare? Again it is probably all the options overwhelming me but how do you as refs prepare for your games and sessions? how long does it take you to convert material such as monsters, enemies NPC's? one of the games I have a lot of experience with is the Hero System, so a detailed rule set does not scare me, but GURPS depending on the genre is even more of a tool kit.
I would not really 'convert' anything because its cumbersome. Instead build fresh but 'inspired by' your originals.

Quote:
4. Are there any practical tips you can give on getting your campaign off to a good start with your players generally?
You can trust your previous experience on this point. GURPS is a very complete rule system, but very good for not imposing its rules over your vision for the setting/campaign.

P.S. If you want advice choosing a magic system it would help to give us more details about the feel of your setting.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote