View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #8
Emerald Cat

Default Re: Kind of new to GURPS help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjday View Post
1. Where do I start? I have a lot of material beyond the core books (Magic, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Powers etc).
I want the campaign to be tailored perfectly, but I must admit I am a bit overwhelmed by all the options, how do you practically narrow it all down?
Just because you have a lot of material beyond the core books doesn't mean you have to use it. You could keep things simple and stick to the Basic Set.

A good first step for paring the content is to figure out what feel you're going for. That will make it a lot easier to figure out what rules you need for the game. Since this is the first time your group is playing GURPS, I'd recommend a minimalist approach.

Quote:
2. How do I present this all to my players? I have a diverse group and some will love all the character building options the game brings, others will glaze over and sigh and still others will become frustrated unless I present it to them in a way they can understand. I only have one set of books so a character generation session I feel is going to be a long stressful time.
My advice would be to use optional templates. That way, the players can build their characters without having to dive into the full rules of the game.

For example, for a fantasy setting a player could build a character by choosing a racial, occupational template, and social background template. Using this approach, they can build their character in only 3 choices.

I'd highly recommend Template Toolkit 1: Characters for an entire book of advice on this topic.

Quote:
4. Are there any practical tips you can give on getting your campaign off to a good start with your players generally?
Use templates. That will make it easier for first time players to get into the game. Also, if a new player drops into the game it makes it possible to add them quickly.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote