View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #6
DangerousThing

Default Re: Kind of new to GURPS help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanjday View Post
How do you run your games and prepare? Again it is probably all the options overwhelming me but how do you as refs prepare for your games and sessions?
My preparation consists of rereading the scenario I've already written. Or at least the notes that I've written. I've been running GURPS since the first edition came out, so I have a good handle on the rules. And I fake it if I forget something.

Quote:
How long does it take you to convert material such as monsters, enemies NPC's?
Converting other game's materials is usually simple for me, but mainly because I toss out the inconvenient details. I look at the monster or enemy and pick out their high points and low points.

Example: an enemy soldier who is good with a blaster pistol and bad with hand-to-hand combat, but otherwise is quite durable. Not a boss enemy, but above the mook level.

I would think ST=9, IQ=10, DX=12, HT=13. Add a few skills: Beam Weapons (Pistol)-13, Brawling-9. Combat Reflexes. As he's an enemy that they probably won't be speaking with, I might leave it at that. If he shows up again, I might give him an advantage or two, but nothing large.

When running a game, don't make the players roll for every single thing, like mounting a horse. If they have the riding skill, then they should be able to mount a horse, unless this is an unbroken wild horse or something. Let the characters show off their skills.

One interesting alternative rule from Pyramid magazine is "Take it to 11." This is the assumption that (outside of combat) the players roll 11. It cuts down on a lot of silly rolls. Some players really like this, some hate it.

Another thing to remember about GURPS is that the combat system can be extremely dangerous. Even a mook will occasionally get a critical hit. With guns (or swords), this can severely wound a character. I strongly suggest that you run some sample combats by yourself and see.

One of the better strategies in combat is to get behind another character. Then your opponent has a bad or even no defense roll. Read the combat rules, and make sure that you are familiar with them. If possible, get together with one of your players and practice it.

And above all, have fun!
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote