View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
Anaximander

Default Re: New to GURPS my head hurts

I've been running a Fallout campaign for about five months now. When I started it, I gave my players 200 points to build their characters, set it at TL9, and drew heavily from Ultra Tech for gear. I tried making use of the GURPS Fallout Revised Edition, but I found it kind of dizzying myself. The variable tech levels by scientific field in particular were crazy to me, and I never really liked fooling with Status or Wealth. Status I threw out as irrelevant and Wealth I got rid of and just gave them some starting gear that I felt fit their background.
I ended up writing a lot of my own material. I drew up an equipment list so that weapons and armor in the fallout video games would be represented. I also trimmed down the skills list to only things that were relevant to the game and then went on to condense a number of skills. I also went through the advantage and disadvantage lists to pick out the relevant ones for my characters. That gesture was much appreciated by my players when it came time to create their characters.
So aside from the Basic Set, I would make use of High Tech, Ultra Tech and Action. I also personally have used material from Bio-Tech, Low Tech and Martial Arts. The GURPS Fallout book has the racial templates you want and plenty of gear which you can at least use until you stat out your own stuff. If you are going through character creation and something confuses you, like status in a world where there's little to no communication between settlements, or my own question of "what do I do with wealth as my characters gain and lose money and gear?", then just skip it! Making a Fallout version of Caravan to Ein Arris is a great idea. Maybe Caravan to Shady Sands?
This game I'm running now has been the best roleplaying game myself or any of my players has ever participated in, by their own admission. I wish you luck in yours, and if you're at all interested in seeing my own game material, just shoot me a message. By the way, where and when is your game taking place? Mine is in 2281 (right after the events of New Vegas) in Central Florida.
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote