Thread: On being Feared
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #10
Hide

Default Re: On being Feared

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That's not quite what the definition says. Rather, it says, "as if you had successfully used Intimidation skill." That's similarity rather than identity.

Well, the player created the character more than four years ago, and her concept of her has evolved in the course of play. So now I need to think through how this will actually work.
Indeed; however, isn’t the decision of taking the advantage ultimately deliberate? Perhaps the solution shouldn’t be so straight when a PC knows the way he takes...

Sometimes advantages can be inappropriate. It is like playing a “trascendentally beautiful” character, if such a PC would not like to attract the unneeded attention, she/he should go extra lengths to mitigate the advantage for whatever reason in game (I.e. doing cover ops).

Maybe I should have started giving my opinion after these questions... Why do you ask in the first place? Is she looking forward to being “less fearful”? Or do you want to create a situation “tuned” to her advantage?

Supposing your player has been playing continuously these 4 years, with the same PC, I guess she had room to make “adjustments”... And after 4 years the advantage is still there; so there should be a reason.

Maybe my previous opinion was kind of “cold”, I like exploring the mechanics; in this particular situation, I would take the path which leads to the most fun for you and your friends. Because you know them (and it usually is our ultimate goal in GURPS).
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote