View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #9
crazycaleb

Default Re: Old School Renaissance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Clyde View Post
For us, OSR style play is just a more light hearted way of playing which can be quite enjoyable and has honestly re-kindled my love for fantasy RPGs. The things we like about OSR styleplay is the simplicity of character creation, the deadliness of play and the ability to rely on random tables to generate most of the hexcrawl/dungoen crawl on the fly.
Ive been having the same experience with OSR style games lately. I'd also agree that the overall approach to roleplaying that has emerged over time from the movement (rulings over rules, quick character creation, more weight toward player creativity than character sheet abilities) is even better when used with rules other than D&D. I am of course a fan of GURPS, but Ive also been having a lot of fun with the OSR-adjacent games that have been gaming out recently like Troika!, Mothership, and Mork Borg. I'd also add that anyone here who enjoys dungeon crawls should check out some of the work that SJG's own Phil Reed has been putting out for Mork Borg. He's really been cranking out supplements and they're great stuff.
crazycaleb is offline   Reply With Quote