View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #86
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Combat]: Do you bow, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, depends how straight a line you need to walk. That's actually something people do routinely fail to do. Normally nobody cares whether you're walking in a straight line...

Your height, horizontally, may be more distance than you realize. Most couches I've met are at most a little over six feet long, including the arms. Six feet is certainly not a distance where you could reach out and touch the target. (Of course it's literally right in front of you, that's a direction, not a distance...)

I wish this absurdity would die. There is no rule requiring or even suggesting that you must have hundreds of hours of practice in something to have a single point.
Of course in the real world some talented people may improve MUCH faster with minimal practice. But I was using the shorthand of experience to bolster my statement that I can't be working from anything but default.
I'm rather embarrassed as I too have stated how the points to hours ratio is an optional loose rule at best.

Right in front of me is a distance for missile weapons though, trivially point blank. Of course my arm is only arm length, so right in front of me would be much closer than half whatever that may measure. I'm using subjective terms here. I would hope context makes their meaning clear.

People fall all the time globally. But no single person falls 50% of the time when in combat and not dodging furiously or across uneven broken ground.

But apparently statistics including numerous out of shape panicking police officers means that Gurps adventurers that aren't failing fright checks or moving fail just as often. It's weird that default Gurps characters are slightly superhuman in every other regard.