View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 03:01 AM   #51
Icelander

Default Grumman Geese

As noted earlier, J.R. Kessler's first seaplane and his personal transport throughout 1961-1978(?) was the 'Dominique', a Grumman Goose JRF-5, formerly flown by the French Navy in Indochina and Algeria. Kessler obtained a private pilot license and enjoyed flying his own plane when he had time, although he'd have employed a pilot as well.

Now, in 1975-1979 or so (approximate years, subject to change if appropriate), Kessler wanted/needed a faster and longer-ranged seaplane for his personal use and to shuttle around the members of his inner circle. I thought that a McKinnon conversion of a Grumman Goose to a turboprop plane might be appropriate.

First of all, was McKinnon still doing new conversions in the 1970s or would Kessler have needed to look for a second-hand turboprop plane converted in the sixties?

Second, what is the most plausible variant that Kessler would opt for in the mid- to late-seventies; a McKinnon G21C (likely 'hybrids'), a G21G or some alternative conversion?

Third, if Kessler was certified to fly a piston JRF-5 Goose, how much trouble would it have been to become familiar with a turboprop conversion of the same aircraft and certified to fly it as a private pilot?*

Fourth, Dominique's interior is decorated in a very Swinging Sixties way, but more lavish and decadent boudoir than carefree hippie playground. I'm not very au fait with styles of interior decoration during the sixties (or any decade), but I'm thinking something mostly red and black, in any combination of leather, silk, satin or velvet most appropriate for the period.

Obviously, I want the newer 'Turbo Goose' to be decorated in an iconic 70s fashion, albeit the middle-aged libertine version. Any suggestions for colours, materials, special touches to make it more reflective of the period?

Kessler wasn't technically a billionaire when he had his new 'Turbo Goose' built, but he still owned hundreds of millions of dollars and he hadn't bought a new toy since the end of the Sixties (the early 70s weren't good for his various business affairs). So there's no need to stint on the decor.

Left to his own devices, Kessler probably preferred somewhat more old-fashioned surroundings (his personal style is best described as 'elegant decadence'), but for this plane, his new personal secretary, Mary Abigail Marchant (b. January 27, 1948; Austin, TX), so aged thirty or slightly less at the time, would have been influential in making it 'fab', 'fun' and 'far out'.

Oh, and I'm thinking of naming the 'Turbo Goose' Angélique. Comments? Alternate suggestions?

Edit: Also, in the mid-80s, Kessler started to set up the logistics for his occult research and investigations. In 1987-1988, he would therefore have obtained several Grumman Geese from the defunct airline Antilles Air Boats, which were put into storage in 1981, when the airline ceased operations.

I imagine that the aircraft required some refurbishing before being flown again, after at least five years and possibly seven, in mothballs. During that process, the possibility existed of sprucing up the cabins and interiors. Any ideas as to what these less-luxurious Grumman Geese might be furnished in, starting from the appointments for an airline that operated the planes from 1974-1981?

Edit Again: Several notes. First of all, it's apparently some kind of aviation nerd faux pas to refer to more than one Grumman Goose as 'Geese'. They prefer 'Gooses', strange as that is.

Second, while I couldn't find an exact source for operation costs for Grumman Gooses in the 2010s, I did find out that a rare Grumman G-111 Albatross averages out to a $1,200/hour operating cost, including having to custom-build spares. As the JRF-5 or G-21A Goose expends half the fuel the larger plane does and Kessler will own a fleet of five, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that his operating costs will be lower, maybe around $1,000/hour.

This is very high compared to modern propeller aircraft, like Beechcraft and Cessnas, so the Gooses are mostly pampered hangar queens, flown fairly rarely and only used for transport when absolutely necessary (e.g. when transporting occultists afraid of modern technology).

*At the time Kessler got his new seaplane, he'd have been around sixty, vigorous and adventurous, nowhere near considering retirement, and still fond of sporting pursuits as his relaxation. But if it's a bureaucratic nuisance or involves a lot of make-work to be certified for the turboprop conversion, Kessler would likely have been happy enough to continue flying Dominique from time to time and have a hired pilot shuttle him around in the newer aircraft when needed.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-05-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote