View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #24
Plane

Default Re: Confused by the FAQ on Afflictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
A classic going at least as far back as AD&D's Levitation spell. Just fly straight up for the entire duration and let it expire so that the victim plummets to their death.

But if you're in a hurry, and you control your enemy's Movement in flight, you can just powerdive into the ground or a wall -- repeatedly. Move 10 with a 10 HP human would be 1d per turn. (Maybe throw a few levels of Enhanced Move (Air) into your Flight Affliction.) Better yet, slam a different enemy to hurt them both.
I'm interested in doing a cost comparison for curiosity's sake, but I do wonder if Warp/Fly is apples to apples in terms of comparing, since the first is instant while the 2nd is ongoing. Us knowing that the person shooting Affliction can pick the Warp destination (and then the control presumably ends immediately) doesn't really set a precedent for implying they could control ongoing abilities.

Does anyone know what examples there are of ongoing advantages being manipulated by the Afflicter?

Using the example of a couple of 200 pound people each with ST 10 squaring off, two hands can lift BLx8 in 4 seconds. Without using the Lifting skill or Extra Effort, you're looking at needing ST 12, 29*8=232. At Extra-Heavy Encumbrance Move is x0.2, base Move is TK level so 12/5=2.4

This would cost 60 points, and targets who are grapples then lifted can constantly try to "Break Free" every second, whereas there doesn't seem to be a way to struggle against a failed save vs. Affliction, once you fail it you are affected for the full duration...

I think maybe as a balance, to allow for directing warp, only allow the Afflictor to "choose a destination/target for the power by controlling it for one turn" and then they lose control of it.

For people who want people subject to wild flights, the "Uncontrollable" and "Unconscious Only" limitations are probably the way to go, but then it's at least the GM choosing where to Fly them and not the attacker
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote