View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
Whitelaughter

Default Re: My Book Recommendations

Okay, personal order of importance:

essential:
- Core or G:IN, depending on the rules system you're using
- The angelic and demonic player guides.
- Heaven & Hell! Good intros to The Game & Judgement, a description of 2/3rds of the game world and the only write up on Fate. I would argue the most important book you can have.

World:
the ethereal, corporeal and GMs guides; these describe the rest of world to you.

The Infernal write-ups: S2 & S4, Lilith, Asmodeus. These serve double value as they provide player info for demonic games and antagonists for everyone. And sooner or later, every group makes a deal with Lilith!

S1: Very valuable. Laurence is Heaven's C-in-C, so his influence will be felt in any game. More stuff on Dominic! Michael is every demon's greatest dread. All 4 sections of the book well written, David suddenly becomes quite useful.

Eli: Well written, and is a useful 'stand in' for the other Archangels. want to play a Windie but there's no expanded write up? Play a Creationist in service to The Wind!

Hide from your players until you're comfortable with the game:
Liber Canticorum & Liber Reliquarum.
Both books are stuffed full of cool stuff...that you may not want your players getting their hands on until later. Sure, you can always say no, but if they don't know it exiss, they can't beg for it, can they?
Once you've got your game running happily, *then* introduce these books! Start by rewarding them with resonance-Restricted Songs, and give them a head's up on the threat of spies learning Songs from them....

For later:
The rest of the Rev cycle; most of it has been replaced. Pity, as a lot of fun. Only place to get several Superior write-ups though.

I wouldn't worry too much about flavour. H&H will give you the IN feel, and the next most important thing is where you set your game: The Congo will give you a different feel to Gretna Green.

[EDIT]: I did a full (splatbook) write up of Marc back in 2003: http://www.mithril.com.au/marc.htm

Last edited by Whitelaughter; 07-07-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: fanon Marc
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote