View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #22
doulos05

Default Re: Discussion for new GURPS Traveller PbP game

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup67vargr View Post
Doulos05 states his desire to play:

Officer - Captain/Pilot(?) [or do you want to be a purely Administrative Captain, possibly also filling the Sensors/Communication Officer role?] [I think it could be a source of some good dramtic tension if the Captain is not the pilot. The pilot may be wanting to go where he wants, but the Captain will probably want him on a pretty short leash.]
I'll take the Sensors/Commo role instead of the pilot roll. That roll is least intensive during combat, when a captain needs to be giving orders and coordinating crew activities (making his Shiphandling rolls so that the crew isn't at a -2 to cooperate). Additionally, I want to make sure everyone has something to do all the time and taking the pilot roll leaves someone with very little to do during combat. Commo would also cover computer skills, generally speaking.

Quote:
Petty Officer - Steward-Purser/Cargo Master
Yep. I'll give him some computer skills too, just because he'll likely have points left over.

Quote:
Now, on another note, missiles and sandcasters can be fired from controls on the bridge, can't they? So we don't necessarily need a gunner after all. Seems like missile- and sandcaster-fire might also fall to the Sensor Operator. Or maybe I'm wrong?
They can, though you can also just buy a Gunnery program and run several copies of that, one for each turret. Once more, I'd rather another guy pick up the gunnery, just so everyone has something to do during a combat. But there's no reason my guy can't do it. Everyone probably ought to drop a point in Gunnery(sandcasters) just in case they need to 'pop chaff', as it were, to save the ship. That point represents enough skill to point the 'caster in the right direction and press the big red button.

Quote:
And just who is going to be the computer expert on the crew, anyway? Maybe we need more than one?
Once more, sensors/commo fits well there, though it wouldn't hurt to have several.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote