View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #359
Polydamas

Default Re: Waffen-SS Gebirgsjäger in Ice Caves and Tunnels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yes, we certainly wouldn't want to store them outside. In any case, anyone human enough to be trusted with such a rare and valuable treasure of the Reich That Was would die quickly if expected to stand watch anywhere without heat and insulation.

However, whatever lift and cargo-handling equipment is placed on the superstructure of the indestructible pillar of black rock will require power. Which no doubt is provided by an Elemental Furnace. So when the lift and cranes aren't in use, there should be spare power for heating a small guard post on the top.
Yeah, but I don't think the crowded control post for the lift and cranes would double as a good FlAK emplacement. That should be as close to airtight as you can manage and located based on closeness to the machinery, whereas the AA positions need to be open enough for the FlAK to protrude out and vent fumes, and need to rotate through a half sphere with minimum obstructions. Maybe you could mount them on top of the control post, although with the wind I would expect that anything on top of the pillar will be as short as possible (also, holes for the gun barrels on the 1. Stock will suck the warm air from the ground floor into the Antarctic void, and if you want a structure like the housing for a medium-sized telescope around the guns then you need mechanisms for turning it and power for them, those Gebirgsgeschütze leave out the gun shields to save weight).

I am sure that German Engineering(TM) could find some kind of solution, but the need to have a space which is airtight so guards can survive a 4-hour shift, and then ventilated to let out propellant gasses, shell casings, etc. and allow the guns to rotate in all directions will be a challenge. So would the contrast between -80C at the muzzle, and the breech rising towards +400 after a few hundred rounds of rapid fire.

Edit: Also, given the likely threats they will want as many guns as possible to rotate independently, which again increases the challenges if you want fixed positions with some kind of heated shelter.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 03-01-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote