View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 04:38 AM   #44
Icelander

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I remember something about a .458 Winchester magnum in a lever action can't remember the details (or find them on a quick search) I think the round was unpopular in the 80's so it may have been cheap then.
You can get them in lever-actions, at least custom built, but I think that only the low-powered loads in .458 Win Mag play nice with lever guns.

I think it makes sense for my hypothetical character to have a .45-70 lever-action with an extended tube magazine, maybe a Marlin 1895 with a 18.5" barrel and Shots 6+1, as one of his anti-bear guns. His CQC anti-bear gun would be a 12G 3" shotgun with an extended magazine, at least Shots 7+1.

It might not be too implausible for him to have bought a gun through Canada in the 1980s and obtained something like a Brno or Mauser action in .404 NE/Jeffery or a similar gun in something up to .416 Rigby or .500 Jeffery.

What would be the best combination of economical price point and good performance in the 1980s for something that was functionally equivalent to the Mannlicher-Schönauer Grosswildbüchse in 12.7x70mm Schüler in GURPS terms?