View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #33
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

I can see the appeal. A really cut-down .50 BMG (8-10") with a suppressor can be done, I suppose. It won't really be all that quiet, but it probably acts like a muzzle break, in game terms. But in the end it's still very heavy and has a limited ammo capacity (unless you mod them to belt feed, too). It's just not functional in any realistic way compared to the other calibers mentioned. Maybe one guy in the fire team has one, but for the whole crew it's probably a waste. The other calibers mentioned are fine, too, I suppose, but miss out on some of the off-the-shelf flexibility of the Beowulf. If your unit of MHs is super secret and funded by some limitless dark funding stream, then playing around with the others might be okay, too. If I were going this route, though, I'd really look at a custom round and custom weapon. Maybe poisoned triplex APEX rounds, that sort of thing. Heck, an M-32 grenade launcher would be a good option against certain targets.

We picked the .50 Beowulf because it hits the right GURPS break point in L:MH, and is a beast (with a drum, good optic, and a good can). It can fold up, even be built as a pistol. And as a relatively cheap, COTS carbine at 6d+1+ (or more with extra-powerful rounds) and with a 34-round drum and full-auto in a small carbine size it is going to be an important MH benchmark, no doubt.

Also, as we point out in L:MH you can have an underbarrel attachment, which now days might be a 12-gauge six-shot revolver, like the SIX12.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote