View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #28
Tomsdad

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Bulk is mainly important in terms of concealing weapons while getting to the mission area. It also matters in CCQ situations, where monsters may tackle the hunters.

Bulk -4* means that a gun may be hidden in a space where no Bulk -5 weapon can fit. It also means a relative +2 to Holdout or Smuggling skill, which is important..
Fair enough (and I guess you be adding your suppressors later on after transporting them as well), I'll be honest I hadn't really considered the concealment side of things.

talking of suppressors, I'm guess large calibre short, barrel carbines are going to be very loud!

As for CCQ / CQB the CQB technique comes up in my games more often than not. And in CC I find that PCs with skill enough to be hitting at range, tend not to be fazed by bulk penalties to hit. Or are big fans of dodge/retreat followed by shoot)

Quote:
Shotguns have their roles, but with Rcl 5-6 for high-power slugs in short weapons, not to mention Weight Per Shot of 0.18 to the 0.08-0.1 for powerful hunting rounds made to work in semi-automatic AR-15 or AR-10 actions, they are a poor choice for replacing a standard carbine.
I think for me the extra '+' without having to worry about an AD(0.5) is the clincher. It also helps if what you're firing at has no vitals, is 'unliving' has DR etc. All of which is good because in MH you never know what you're shooting at.

That AD(0.5) alone is going to cost you 2 damage (so 4 injury on pi++) on target without any DR. that's a 1d-1 loss in damage rating by itself

Also if legality / concealment is an issue, shot guns can hide in plain sight sometimes

Quote:
Carbines which need to be Bulk -4*, battle rifles which need to be Bulk -5* and sharpshooter/anti-materiel rifles that are Bulk -5. All of these need to balance ammunition capacity (Shots, WPS, time to reaload) and ease of rapidly engaging multiple targets (Acc, Rcl, ROF) with power (Dmg, Range). For human targets, that balance leans toward 'enough to seriously wound a human' for power and then the other considerations are most important. For monstrous targets I'm moving the power requirement up to around 5d-6d pi+ for carbines, ca 7d pi+ for battle rifles and higher than that for sharpshooter/anti-materiel rifles. It also helps if one or more of these weapons can be used suppressed with any amount of efficiency.

We already have GURPS stats for the breaching/multi-purpose shotguns, which at least one team member would be likely to carry.
It sounds like Bulk and damage are the priorities (the rest is all basically as true as it always is)

TBH the more I think about this the more I'm going with a shotgun with slugs. The Franchi SPAS is SA has a box magazine is bulk -5* One thing, I think the SPAS15 can take 3" shells, although TS doesn't give this option. It would need a different magazine I'm guessing, but all the listings I can find that mentions the full shell dimensions allows for 18.5x76mm.

you lose a bit on range and accuracy but you seem to thinking in terms of CQB range anyway?

You lose in ability to carry reloads, but you already pushing that with these larger rounds. Also assuming you're not doing military style long range patrols Im not actually sure how big an issue thsi is. I,e if it not dead after 4 or 5 magazines of 12g slugs it's likely not going to be dead with 8-10 of .458. Your basically doing single encounters than longer ongoing action in the field I think?

Now if we go back to your ST14+ big guns, that opens up options a bit more, but in reality I think they will end up big and bulky, because of what they'll be doing.

That pi++ is the clincher I think Id rather hit with one round of 6dpi++ than hoping to get 3 or 4 MoS and get two hits with say 6-7dpi+

And even then there are shot guns with rcl 3 for slugs.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-14-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote