View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #135
David Johnston2

Default Re: Alternate Versions of Inifinite Worlds

Recently I've been giving some thought to the difference between the Infinite Worlds Setting and superhero multiverses. Superhero settings do have parallel presents, as well as myth parallels when they crossover with settings with wildly different basic assumptions like X-Men and Star Trek. Additionally they accumulate multiple "possible futures" like Legion of Superheroes versus Kamandi or Kang the Conqueror versus the original Guardians of the Galaxy. And they have just unrelated universes like Dormammu's Dark Dimension, the Negative Zone or Gemworld. But what they almost never visit is an alternate past to their own At least not so far as they can tell. They will sometimes apparently create an alternate past, when for example their trip to 2014 results in Loki escapting and Thanos disappearing, but those pasts are almost never revisited.

The reason I've been thinking about it is because I recently got my own physical copy of Infinite Worlds and was thinking about how it could be incorporated into what is primarily a superhero universe. I was thinking of creating dopplegangers of worlds like Gallatin (Isolationist America), Gernsback, Lizardia, Taft-7 and Lenin-1, only with supers added. My assumption would be that even though mundane worlds exist, people from supers universes who world jump would be be biased toward other worlds with supers. It would reduce the amount of disruption they'd cause. Sometimes they'd end up in echoes of their own history but if they stirred things up, they'd be booted out by some "time protection patrol" dedicated to "protecting the timeline", possibly to prevent reality quakes.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote